Elder Care in Dix Hills, NY:
Having the responsibility of overseeing the care of a loved one comes with many difficult decisions that must be made and sometimes without a lot of time to prepare. If you’ve been considering hiring a home care agency to help provide care to your loved one, you may have started to see that there are many agencies out there in the local area and you have many options. But how do you know which one is the right fit for you and your loved one?
Most people start with Google and sift through reviews and ratings to get a feel for a company’s reputation. This is a great way to narrow down a list of companies that you want to explore. Once you have that list, below are four important questions for you to ask when you make your calls. These questions will help you understand the agency’s hiring standards, their caregiver benefits and retention programs, their attendance policies, and quality assurance policies.
- How do you screen out unqualified caregiver candidates? What is an example of a reason why a candidate for a caregiver position would be turned down?
- How do you attract and retain qualified caregivers?
- How often does your agency experience no-shows (when caregivers do not call or show up to their scheduled visit with a client)?
- How do you assure that my loved one is being well cared for?
Jennifer has specialized training in Alzheimer’s disease through the Long Island Alzheimer’s Association and the Long Island Alzheimer’s Foundation.She also volunteered her time with the Alzheimer's Disease Assistance Center of Long Island for 3 years by providing cognitive stimulation to an Alzheimer’s patient group.
Jennifer educates the community about elder care and speaks to caregiver support groups, senior centers, and at professional organizations.Topics include home safety, effective strategies for family caregiving, elder care planning, and awareness about elder abuse.
Latest posts by Jennifer Benjamin (see all)
- When is it best to start 24/7 live-in care? - October 8, 2019
- Alzheimer’s Disease: Communication Tips and Local Resources - September 20, 2019
- Company News: New Employee Perk - September 11, 2019